Friday 6 August 2010

Dave on the World Stage

I despise the Conservative Party. Living in an area which was ravaged by Thatcher, I see them as the party of the corporations who would destroy the rights of the common citizen if they believed they could survive the ensuing electoral blood-letting. This hatred is why I find it so painful to write this post: God help me, I support David Cameron’s foreign policy! Since becoming Prime Minister he has come out in full support of Turkish membership of the EU; he has reversed the New Labour dependency on the US; he has criticised Israel by calling Gaza a prison; he has strengthened ties with democratic India rather than the Chinese dictatorship, and to cap it off he has realised that the war in Afghanistan must end at some point. All these foreign policy decisions I can happily support. Of course it may become apparent that there is some kind of Tory hidden agenda to all these moves, but so far so good. As long as Cameron keeps this up the Coalition Government may yet prove itself as a far better alternative to New Labour on the world stage. Now if only he could do something about that domestic policy...

No comments:

Post a Comment