Wednesday 1 December 2010

Oh Dear...

Oh dear. I seem to have neglected my duties as a blogger this past little while. I shall endeavour to post more regularly from now on.

Anyway the circumstances which brought this blog to prominence in my mind once more was the snow-I am trapped in the home of my parents unable to return to my flat. While this is not necessarily a bad thing (indeed it is rather like a holiday) all my nice stuff is in my flat. As such cabin fever has set in rather more quickly than it otherwise should have and so, dear reader, I turn to the online community for solace and entertainment.

A rant: why is the comic book genre so under-rated by everyone? I mean we need only go as far as ‘The Watchmen’ (that is the graphic novel NOT that damnable movie adaptation) to encounter quite deep philosophical musing. Indeed ‘The Dark Knight’ is based on the comic book genre (it could not exist without it) and the sociological and philosophical references are everywhere-the Joker’s line near the start of the film ‘What doesn’t kill you makes you stranger’ is lifted from Nietzsche and marks the tip of the ice berg where that particular film is concerned. My point is that while a graphic novel may look entirely different from a novel or a painting this does not mean that it cannot be as deep or as important to the study of art. Of course there is crap out there, but this is the same with every art form and should not detract from the sublime genius of some of the people involved with the genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment