Wednesday 16 June 2010

Rage Against the Dying of the Light




My internet connection has been down, and so I have not posted for a little longer than I really intended: for this I apologies. This will be a quick post (not related to my series on cuts-hopefully a new post on Friday) about something which came up when I was watching Monarchy with David Starkey. In 1604 King James the VI of Scots and I of England made a speech before the English Parliament outlining his belief on why the nation of his birth and his adopted home (he would visit Scotland only once after 1603) should be joined in political union: a shared language, culture, customs, religion and linked geographical border all meant that the continual independence of his northern kingdom was an anomaly left over from the age of Bruce-at least in the eyes of the ‘wisest fool’.

Obviously James failed to create a British union during his reign, but the same arguments heard in the English Parliament in the 1600s and in the Scottish Parliament in the 1700s are being reiterated by the forces of unionism today. Now I first joined the nationalist cause because I saw it as the only method by which an independent Scottish identity could be salvaged from the hell of tartan tat; for the same reasons as James VI a Westminster government would never more than make a show of protecting the ancient identity of the northern kingdom. However, the light came upon me watching Starkey talking about the politics of the Jacobean regime-the same reason that drove me toward nationalism (namely the slow death of the national identity) is driving many of my fellow Scots toward the cold embrace of British ideologues. Sadly our national character has degraded to the point where only those who spend their lives surrounded by the memories of the dying culture of my people can form enough energy to raise a hand in defence of old Alba, and this is something I think the nationalist movement needs to rectify. Not only will the Renaissance of the Gaels be a brilliant epoch in our history in its own right, it shall inspire the Scottish people to rise up and defend our ancient identity from lethargy. Once this occurs the march to independence will be assured.

I believe we should practice what we preach. As such I intend to work away at learning Gaelic and promoting Scottish culture and customs. I shall report throughout the year on how I am progressing, and encourage all my nationalist companions to attempt to ‘Gaelify’ their own lives in their own way.

No comments:

Post a Comment